What is Detox Tea?
Detox tea is simply a cup of soothing herbal tea that is used for body cleansing. Most of the detox herbal teas are based on Ayurveda, Chinese medicine, and other traditional medicinal treatments. Detox tea is primarily used for weight loss, liver detox, laxative effects, or detox after alcohol, drugs, heavy eating. Generally, they aim to provide overall health benefits by removing any toxic substances in your body.
How Does Detox Tea Work?
As mentioned, the purpose of detoxing is to get rid of all the harmful substances which further helps to cleanse your body. For this to happen, you have to play your part in preventing more toxic substances from entering your body. This is why many detox experts advise you to pair it with an exercise routine, healthy eating, and a lot of water.
How Do Toxins Leave Your Body?
Detoxification means cleaning the body and blood impurities as well as helping your immune system to function better. The process is done through a few steps. This is through the liver (where all toxic products are processed for elimination), lungs, kidneys, lymphatic system, and skin.
When there are unwanted substances in your body, the process is compromised, and therefore, there is a build-up of impurities in your body. Impurities leave your body through the same route they come in. Here are some of the ways through which they leave;
– your body releases toxic substances through sweating. When you work out, you increase your thermostat and body temperature, activating your sweat glands to cool you off. During the process, your body releases the impurities as well.
– It is no brainer that water is a big part of our body. More than 70% of our bodies are made up of water. It is, therefore, crucial to stay hydrated
during the detoxification process. You should drink water half your body weight every day and more if you live in a warm climate. For example, if you weigh 200lbs, you should at least take 100 ounces of water every day. Drinking water helps you flush toxins in the kidneys and leave the body through urine.
Gut and Bowels
– Normally, our body eliminates a lot of impurities through our digestive systems and bowels. However, when the toxic has built up for long (for example, when you are struggling with constipation), the impurities can be reabsorbed in the body system, making it even harder to detoxify. Proper gut health is essential in ensuring toxins leave your system. Taking some gut health supplements and a diet rich in fiber can help regulate the digestive system.
– This may come as a surprise to you, but breathing is another way through which your body releases toxins. Your body is in a constant metabolism and your lungs and help process toxins that accumulate in the airways.
Regular exercising increase your heart rate and breathing, leading to toxin extraction through carbon dioxide. To keep your lungs in good condition; eat foods rich in antioxidants, add plants, and to improve air circulation in the room, avoid smoking as well as second-hand smoke.
PS: All this automatically happens as long as you eat healthily and exercise.
What to Avoid While Detoxing
Here are substances you should avoid during detox for quality results;
- Refined sugars and sweeteners
- Dairy products and eggs
- Fast food
- Fried foods
- Refined sugars and sweeteners
You are advised to avoid these products while detoxing because they have been observed to have mild impurities that can accumulate in your body. By avoiding them, the detox tea can deal with toxins that are already in the body without worrying about others that are coming inside the body.
What to Eat While Detoxing
Here are some products you should incorporate in your detox diet:
Whole grains and complex carbohydrates
- Healthy Fats
- Dairy alternatives
- Beans and legumes
These foods are important in your detox diet because they have micronutrients that nourish your body, which optimize the performance of your body and organs in the body during a detox cleanse. The nutrients you have during detoxes such as vitamins, antioxidants
, and minerals, prevent toxins from entering your body.
What Type Of Toxins Leave Your Body?
You should start improving your diet in the first days for all the benefits we discussed above. It is easier said than done but knowing the number of toxins in your body would motivate you to eat healthily. Here are some of the toxins;
BPA, or Bisphenol
– This is a chemical that is present in plastic containers that store beverages or food.
– Mercury is a neurotoxin present in seafood and fish. Too much of mercury can damage your brain.
Toxins from your beauty products
– Your skin makes up the largest part of your body and the most vulnerable part of absorbing toxins. Unfortunately, most of the beauty products are made of ingredients that are harmful such as; sulfates, parabens, synthetic materials, artificial fragrances, phthalates, formaldehyde, just to mention a few.
– This is a common term in agriculture; it is used to control pests such as bacteria, insects, mold, fungus, and rodents.
– a collection of silicate minerals found around the home (sheeting, floor tiles, fireplaces, pipes). It is harmful to your lungs and triggers the chronic respiratory disease.
MSG and Aspartame
– these flavor food enhancers are neurotoxins and can interfere with the signals your brain send to your body.
Other common toxins include cigarette residue, smog, and pollution, Teflon from your non-stick cooking pans, and the lead used to seal water pipes, etc.
There are risks of toxins getting in our bodies in our lives at all time. This is why having a healthy diet is crucial in ensuring that your organs operate optimally and do their detox job properly. As you use detox tea, ensure you drink enough water and exercise frequently.
When is the Best time to take detox tea?
It is important to learn the best time to drink your detox tea to flush toxins and to achieve the results you desire. Here are the best times to take your detox tea;
Morning detox tea
Morning time is the best time to detox, especially after a workout. Don’t prolong it to midday. This is because detox tea is centered on helping the liver and kidney detoxify the body. The kidneys play a big part, so if you drink the detox tea middle day, you might visit the washrooms one too many times.
Sleeptime detox tea
Most detox teas have very little caffeine if not none. This means that you can take the tea before bed and give it time to settle in your body. This will help you in eliminating toxins through normal process.
How often should you drink detox tea?
Drinking gentle detox tea for two or three weeks helps in the removal of impurities in the body and give the time to adjust to living without the toxins. This is why you may experience some side effects such as headaches and nausea, which disappear in two or three days. However, once the process is done, you should feel energetic, refreshed, and calm.
For healthy purposes, consider detoxing after every 3-6 months.
Popular Detox Tea Ingredients
Different tea brands use different natural ingredients to come up with their cleansing tea. However, few ingredients are included in all detox tea blends. Here is a list;
According to the National Health Interview Survey
, milk thistle is one of the common herbs that are used in healing the liver disease. It has elements that contain an antioxidant known as silymarin. Laboratory results have proved that milk thistle can shield the liver from toxins such as acetaminophen and alcohol.
. This is a plant that is consumed as food. It can protect the liver from acetaminophen and alcohol-related damages as well as purify the blood. It’s rich in inulin and sesquiterpene lactones. Studies with animals show that Burdock’s
antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may promote healthy digestion.
Some researchers suggest that dandelion root stimulates the flow of bile, a substance that is used to transport toxins from the liver for elimination. Also, dandelion
can protect the liver from environmental toxins.
This ingredient also acts as a diuretic, increasing the elimination of toxins through urine. Dandelion greens are taken as salad, while it’s burned roots can be used to substitute coffee.
The product has antioxidant substances, chlorogenic acid, luteolin, and cynarin; products that increase the flow of bile. Besides its toxic fighting abilities, it is also touted for lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
Some individuals turn to senna to lose weight and cleanse the body. Senna leaf has compounds that are powerful laxatives known as anthraquinones. Senna is believed to eliminate constipation.
Benefits of detox tea
Cleansing the liver and removing all toxins in the body
. As aforementioned, multiple things in our day-to-day life expose us to toxins that could compromise the functioning of our cells. Detox tea is crucial in ensuring the body cells are restored to their functioning for detoxing.
. Drinking detox tea will help you reduce inflammatory issues in your body. Additionally, detox teas are a great help to reduce bloating.
Having a detox tea in the morning will leave you feeling light and fresh throughout the day. Detox tea also helps in appetite suppressing and increased metabolic rate which aids in weight loss. and reducing belly fat. Additionally, detox tea also helps to eliminate water weight from the body.
Promote Skin Health.
We all love a flawless face. However, pollutants clog our skin leading to wrinkles and early signs of aging. Drinking detox tea ensures that your body remains lustrous and minimize the aging signs.
Detox tea will increase mental alertness because it boosts your energy levels. The cleansing tea will also get rid of toxins from the body hence reducing the tiredness.
Detox tea side effects
Most detox herbal teas are a harmless mixture of pure tea leaves which have no side effects. However, some cleansing teas may contain substances such as;
- Powerful herbs, like senna
- Illegal chemicals, like ephedra
- High levels of caffeine
The added substances mentioned above have both benefits and side effects like:
- Heart attacks
- Diarrhea which may lead to dehydration
- Abdominal discomfort, bloating, nausea, cramping, and gas
- Electrolyte imbalance as a result of the many trips to the washroom
- Sleep distraction and other effects of taking caffeine such as anxiety, headaches, agitation, restlessness, etc.
There are so many toxic substances that you are not aware of that exists and compromise your health every day. You cannot control some of these substances because they are things such as leads in water pipes. However, you can take the initiative to detox every 3-6 months to remove all the harmful substances that may be inhabiting in your body.
Detox herbal teas are a good and easy way to clean the liver, kidneys, and increase bile in your body. Although you may have annoying side effects, the symptoms will subside after 2-3 days. After the detox, you should feel calm and more energized.
Remember to have a healthy diet and exercise during the detoxification for good results. Healthy living during the process prevents toxins from entering the body, giving the detox tea ample time to deal with impurities in the body.
Be sure to research the ingredients of any detox tea before consuming it. Also, consider seeking medical advice before undertaking the quest if you have any special health conditions.
Get some herbal detox tea
to try out here.
Find out on how to reach herbal tea supplier
for bulk herbal tea.